Rats are the classic nightmare house guests. They show up uninvited, eat all your food and leave a mess behind. Our Monmouth County NJ exterminator shares the CDC recommendations for best practices on cleaning up after a rat infestation.
Tips for Cleaning Up After a Rat Infestation
• Always wear goggles and rubber, latex or vinyl gloves during clean-up.
• Don’t sweep up any areas where dropping, urine and nesting materials are present. That will stir up dust that could spread contaminated particles throughout your home.
• Mix a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Spray onto the urine, droppings and nest remnants and let the solution sit for five minutes. If you choose to use a commercial disinfectant, follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Collect urine and droppings in a paper towel, then place in a trash container.
• Use a disinfectant to clean floors, countertops and any other surfaces that may have been contaminated.
• Steam clean upholstered furniture, carpets and other fabrics that show signs of exposure.
• Wash bedding, linens and clothing in detergent and hot water.
• Insulation can sometimes become contaminated by urine and droppings. Place any damaged insulation into plastic bags for disposal.
• Throw away any damaged cardboard storage boxes. Use the disinfectant solution to clean glass, metal and plastic storage containers.
• Consult our Monmouth County NJ exterminator for further assistance.
Safe and Effective Monmouth County NJ Exterminator Services
When you need Monmouth County NJ exterminator services, contact Allison Pest Control to schedule a free inspection.