Take Preventative Action Agains Mosquitoes This Spring
Spring means more sunshine and rising temperatures, but the return of mosquitoes isn’t far behind. As the leaders in pest control in my area, our technicians offer useful tips to keep these annoying insects from spoiling your outdoor fun.
Tips to Prevent Mosquito Bites
1. Bare skin is a virtual buffet for mosquitoes. Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants, tucking your pants into your socks to limit access. Stick to light colors, as studies show black, red and other deep colors tend to attract insects.
2. Apply insect repellent that contains one of these ingredients:
*Oil of lemon eucalyptus
Choose a repellent registered with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for maximum safety and effectiveness.
3. Remove standing or stagnant water in bird baths, buckets and other receptacles that are prime breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Treat swimming pools regularly and keep water circulating.
4. Use screens on doors and windows to keep mosquitoes outside. Promptly repair any holes or tears.
5. Mosquitoes can bite at any time, but they’re more active during the hours of dawn and dusk. It’s best to stay indoors during those times, but if you must be outside, take appropriate precautions.
6. Replace outdoor light bulbs with yellow ones. While not technically repellents, the yellow lights are less attractive to mosquitoes than the brighter white ones.
Need Pest Control in My Area?